Sleep better with simple techniques
Most of us know that sleep is important. It can be good to know though that all kinds of negative feelings get worse when you don´t get enough sleep.
Here are some tips about what you can do when you have problems.
– May be you have heard that children sleep better when they have routines. Try the same strategy and create a routine about your bed rituals.
– If you have a hard time letting go of things that have happended at work, book a time in the afternoon before you go from work and write down everything that´s worrying you. After that, write down a plan about how you can solve the problems.
– If you have worry thoughts and they show up when you are about to go to bed try to book worry time the next day. Think “I can think about all the catastrophic thoughts between 12.00 and 12.30 tomorrow.
– Try not to do work in your bedroom. Condtion your bedroom with sleeping.
– Avoid smoking, alcohol, and coffee a few hours before you go to bed.
– Avoid eating right before you go to bed.
– Try a mindfulness exercize before you go to sleep. Listen to a mindfulness tape och listen to some relaxing music.
– Try to think about what you are grateful about before you go to sleep. Research has shown that thinking about nice things in life can influence your sleep and dreams in a positive way.
– if you wake up in the middle of the night, get up after a while and drink a cup of hot milk, and go back to bed. Avoid being awake for too long in your bed. Instead, get up do something else and go back to bed.
Cognitive Behavior Psychologist Monica Emanell